The objective of the Enhanced Environmental Farm Plan is to help farmers develop a practical plan for operating their farm in a way that is environmentally sustainable, socially acceptable, and economically viable.
Sustaining production, managing risks, providing a healthy landscape for the next generation, and maintaining market access are just a few of the reasons for creating an Environmental Farm Plan.
The Enhanced Environmental Farm Plan (EFP) process helps you identify and address environmental risks and opportunities in your operation. This plays a key part in safeguarding your local environment. And a healthy environment is essential to the success of Prince Edward Island farmers.
Maintaining water, soil and air quality and biodiversity contributes to:
- Sustainable production of crops and livestock
- A healthy and diverse landscape for you, your family and community
- A productive environment for the next generation
Ensuring a healthy environment is also a crucial element in marketing our agricultural products. Consumers are becoming increasingly concerned about the safety and quality of the food they eat and about how that food is produced. Research on consumer preference shows that consumers place a high value on environmentally conscious food production.
Other important reasons for preparing an EEFP include:
- Effectively manage farm inputs like herbicides, insecticides and fertilizers
- Demonstrate to the public, government, lenders and/or investors that you are managing your environmental risks
- Increase your understanding of your legal requirements related to environmental issues
- Identify what you are already doing well and pinpoint where improvements can be made
In 2012 the EFP program was redesigned to be more streamlined through new and improved computer software. As a result of this change the EFP includes much better GIS mapping of your fields, properties, buffer zones and infrastructure. The EFP can be completed in less than 2 hours with one of our environmental planning officers. Meetings can be scheduled at the office in Charlottetown or in the convenience of your home or office.
Participation in the program ensures your eligibility for provincial programs such as the Growing Forward 2 Agriculture Stewardship Program, Farmland Finance Program and Future Farmer Programs. All plans are valid for 5 years and participation in the program is no cost to the producer.
JoAnn Pineau, EFP Planning Officer
joann@รู้ทัน บา คา ร่า www.healthrelatedinfo.com
Matt Hughes, EFP Planning Officer
mhughes@รู้ทัน บา คา ร่า www.healthrelatedinfo.com